[Dixielandjazz] METHODS of PIANO TUNING

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Tue Sep 16 15:51:14 PDT 2003

> Thank you, Andy.  I transported a piano from Pennsylvania
> to California last year and have had it manually / aurally
> tuned twice now. I can still hear inaccuracies, especially
> in the lower and upper registers, but two particular keys
> in the mid registers.

It depends how far out they are. If they are a long way
out you usually have to bring them in tune slowly. So
it might take a few visits from the tuner.

Does the tuner agree they sound wrong?
Do they sound OK just after the tuner leaves?

If not, then you might need a new piano tuner ;-)

If they were OK, then it may be a mechanical problem. The pegs
might be slipping or the strings have stopped being stretchy
and need replacing. Giving a piano a good shake during
transportation can cause this sort of problem.

I guess you need a piano tuner you can trust, who can tell you
what, if anything is wrong and the best way to fix it.

Andy Ling