[Dixielandjazz] Why we perform.- Part 2

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 14:06:39 PDT 2003

Here is an e mail received today from a lady who attended our concert
last night at an upscale Retirement Facility in New Jersey. Audience
average age was 75 and about 180 people attended. We do about 30 of
these a year for the older folks, lest you think that we only play for
young audiences. These are great venues for OKOM. They clap for solos,
for songs, and for relevent jokes. And invariably, I meet someone who
saw/heard me at one of the various NYC jazz clubs in the 1940s and 50s.
This women and I originally met at The Melody Lounge in NYC, circa 1957.
We had a six month gig there. Hadn't seen her since 1960.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Dear Steve"

"I simply had to drop a line and tell you how much I enjoyed the concert
at
Medford Leas last evening, to which.. I had been invited by friends. I
must
to tell you that never have I seen so many assorted elderly and various
anatomical parts keeping time to the music.!  You are to be
congratulated
for bringing pleasure to the entire audience. (I'm glad that you picked
up
that clarinet again after all those years - you were super.)"