[Dixielandjazz] Re: Spelling etc.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 13:46:33 PDT 2003

> "Dingo" <roadie at btinternet.com> wrote
>
> The phaomnnehil pweor of the hmuan mnid.
>
> Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
> waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
> frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses
> and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid
> deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
>
> smiply amzanig huh?

Eureka, that's the best definition of "free" or "avant garde" jazz yet.
Doesn't matter what the notes, chords, or melody are. Just get the first note and the last note right. ;-)

My mother was taught in the NYC School system starting in 1915 or so to read the letters, as were many in those days.
Now, as John  says, we are taught to read for content. So speed readers can read the first and last sentence in a
paragraph and get the gist.

Is it the same in Jazz these days?

Cheers,
Steve

PS. One more thing. Mom was the best "proof reader" I ever saw. She couldn't help it because of the way she was taught.
She would note the spelling errors in the NY Times which she read every day. Never a day passed without a few. She would
have put all the spelling correctors on the DJML to shame including all those "ise" v. "ize" words, plus the words that
are not in our computer spell correctors.