[Dixielandjazz] Re: I can't escape / You can't escape

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at goteborg.utfors.se
Tue Sep 16 18:14:50 PDT 2003

"I can't escape from you" is a tune composed by Richard A Whiting. It was recorded by Erskine Hawkins in 1936. This tune was a Bing Crosby hit, also recorded by Erroll Garner, Dexter Gordon and many other artists. Three years later Hawkins recorded his own composition "You can´t escape from me", which was recorded by George Lewis in 1944 under the name "San Jacinto Stomp" (the first version at George´s home, the other two at San Jacinto Hall). Bunk recorded it in January 1946 and called it "I Can't Escape From You". I guess it was a mistake! After that a lot of NO revival bands have played it under that name.

Kid Sheik and George Lewis used the proper name "You Can't Escape From Me" when they recorded it in 1961.

To make the story even more complicated: There is an "I Can't Escape >From You", composed by Hank Williams Sr!

Cheers
Ingemar
Ingemar Wagerman
Prastgardsangen 17