[Dixielandjazz] Right Brain

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Wed Sep 10 16:12:12 PDT 2003

Not sure about how all this applies on a wider scope. However, school age
children who study music seem to do better in math.  They start off by
reading music and learning theory. So they are working the left side of the
brain. So,  I conclude math is a left side function. However, it could be
that music is the type of subject that "pre-selects" folks who are already
going to be good in math.

[ Aside:  When I taught jr. high orchestra, I had the kids keep a note book
consisting of four bars of rhythm exercises which I wrote out on the board
and graded daily. "One & a two, three e-an-a four". They wrote out the
answers and they got so good at it I could never trip them up, even with
tough advanced rhythms.  They learn fast at that age.  But, I never
attempted to teach improv ].

Also, remember, there are two types of musicians.  Those who are self taught
and those who learn from a teacher.  From my experience teaching in the high
school and a little college, the self taught players don't always play very
well, with a few exceptions. But, those musicians who are self taught are
using right brain from the first note, and the great ones obviously have a
heck of a talent, and might be lousy in math.

On the other hand, Who Cares?

Russ Guarino

Russ Guarino