[Dixielandjazz] culture

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Sep 10 21:31:38 PDT 2003

Tom wrote:
>Again I was trying to make a point that those countries have embraced
the
>cultural contributions from America in the form of Jazz music since the
1920s and
>continue to appreciate it and enjoy it much more than the pop culture
that we
>are mass producing today.

Tom, I wasn't upset at all about your remark....only a bit confused by
it.  Later, you mentioned "cultural differences", which refers more to
the differences between different countries rather than whether they
prefer the theatre over rap (or whatever example you wish to choose).

Nevertheless, I think you're mistaken in believing that Europe,
particularly YOUNG Europe hasn't totally fallen for the pop culture you
mention.  Granted, they don't turn away from OKOM music (thank
goodness!), but they are all there in their baggy pants, baseball hats,
girls showing their bare tummies (again, thank goodness!!), etc.

U.S. made films are grand sell outs, in spite of heavy traffic at the
home made films, also (& again, thank goodness, 'cause 90% of Hollywood
films are mixed on the very same digital audio mixers that I represent
in Spain!!!).

Nope!  The U.S. is HERE.  Looks like they weren't gonna let us be THERE,
recently, with the Oct 1st. deadline for new passports from gobs of
European countries.  My wife & I had given up on the chance to visit my
Mother in November, as she couldn't get the required new version of her
Irish passport on time for the trip (there's a huge waiting period
already), but it looks like the U.S. is going to put the cutoff date
back a bit (&, again, again, thank goodness!!!).

Anyway, Tom.  No sweat.  I wasn't at all put out by your comment.  I was
actually drooling to see what our friends over here were going to lay on
you.   :>

Jim