[Dixielandjazz] A little diplomacy please

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Wed Sep 10 11:55:50 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Farrell" <stridepiano at tesco.net>

> Tom Wiggins said :
>
> "Many countries that we play in are at least thirty years behind the USA
in
> culture, while it is true that we are often the trend setters of the
world,
> we must also understand that we change every six months because of our
great
> media power and advertising marketplace."

> This kind of attitude is largely responsible for the widespread perception
> that Americans are an arrogant bunch of braggarts. I have many American
> friends and therefore know it to be fiction, but after reading a comment
> like that people who do not know any of our transatlantic cousins
personally
> might be inclined to believe it.
>
> Culture comes in many different guises, one size does not fit all. Does
Tom
> really think that a nation without similar social structures, behavioural
> patterns, artistic leanings and economic wherewithal to those existing in
> USA is culturally
> lacking? I hope not.

Yes, unfortunate remarks like this are too common from we americans.  What
Tom is referring to, I believe, is cheesy pop culture which thrives in the
moronic mind set that is prevalent here. To someone not in this country, it
is far worse than you could imagine.

The best thing to do is to start rejecting american movies, televvision
shows.and pop recordings. These three ingredients now fuel much of the
american economy.  Those involved in this garbage know that they can sell it
not only to the US but to europe and the rest of the world as well.   They
can't lose.

Don't buy any american pop culture.

Jim Beebe