[Dixielandjazz] Two Band Stereo

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Mon Sep 8 20:01:50 PDT 2003

The two band format with James and Matlock being on separate channels
reminds me of one of the first stereo LPs I purchased which featured Basie's
band on the left and Ellington's band on the right. (First Time! on
Columbia)  I had an old mono turntable with a newly installed stereo pickup
cartridge and an outboard amp for the second stereo channel.  Primitive
equipment but pretty good for 1961.   To make a long story short, my dad
walked into the room where he was very impressed by his first exposure ever
to stereophonic sound.   When I asked, "Well, what do you think of stereo,
Dad," I'll never forget his response.  "It sounds great...but what do you do
with stereo if you only have one band to record?"   It didn't take him long
to figure out that answer for himself.

I'm not aware of other recordings with a different band in each channel.
Anyone know of more?

Dick Broadie