[Dixielandjazz] "Wild women don't have the blues"

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Oct 25 12:58:38 PDT 2003

I want to put "Wild women don't have the blues" in one of my new fake
books. It's not in Anderson.

Can someone tell me on what LP Carol Leigh sings it? It's not a Stomp Off
record. And no CD is listed in Worlds Records database. My late vocalist
learned it from a Leigh recording I supplied her, but I can't find the
source record or cassette.

Ida Cox did it in 1924 with Lovie Austin's Serenaders, and Worlds Records
does list a version by her with Coleman Hawkins in the late 30s.

If someone has the 1924 version (the only one listed in Rust's JR), I'd
appreciate having an .mp3. I'll also take the Hawkins if someone would
provide that. Perfection would be a copy of the sheet music--I have no idea
who wrote it, so I can't look it up in LofC.

It's a rockin' tune any trad vocalist ought to learn--moderate
shuffle/boogie beat.

Wild Women Don't Have the Blues

1. I hear these women talkin' `bout their    monkey men,//
    `bout their no good husbands and their    travellin' friends.//
Those poor women sit around/   all day long,/
    wond'ring why their wand'rin' pappas   don't come home, but
Wild women don't worry,   wild women don't have the   blues.///   ////.

2. Now if you've got a man don't ever be   on the square,/
    `cause if you do he'll have a woman   everywhere./
I never was known to treat no   one man right,/
    I keep him working hard for me    day and night, `cause
wild women don't worry, wild women don't have the blues.

3. I've got a disposition and a    way of my own,
    My man starts kickin', I make him   find another home.
I get full of boot likker, walk the   streets at night,/
    go home and throw my man out if he   don't act right, `cause
wild women don't worry,   wild women don't have the   blues.///   ////

4.  You never get nothin' by bein' an   angel child,/
   You better change your ways and get   real/ wild./
I'm gonna tell you somethin', ain't gonna   tell you no lie,
    wild women are the only kind who   really get by, `cause
wild women don't worry,   wild women don't have the   blues.///    ////

(Fem. vocal key)
--Sheik
David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
Compiler: "Dixieland FB" (Bb, C); "30S-40S FB (Bb, C)"; "Gig Book"
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit (Dixie playalong list, other tools)
http://americanmusiccaravan.com (Fake Books, Chord Books, Bands)
eMail: dwlit at cpcug.org