Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Keys, in general

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 17:10:12 PDT 2003

Perhaps I'm revealing a well guarded trade secret but so be it. If you first
explain to your audience that you're now playing your MODERN JAZZ VERSION (of
any song) you can play it in any key you prefer (C is my hands down favorite
on keyboards) while the rest of the band plays in whatever their favorite keys
happen to be--- AND NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW. Try it! In fact, the dissonance is
kind of strangely interesting. The problem is you have to keep a straight face
throughout the performance and that's the really hard part.

Oh yes, if you kick in a few jerking jumps up a flatted fifth (doesn't matter
where you stick these) you can also claim to be influenced by some BEBOP
great.

Ain't the new jazz grand?

Dan (piano fingers) Spink