[Dixielandjazz] Rod Stewart

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Oct 26 12:45:04 PST 2003

The misuse of the vocal chords by rock and rollers who had no foundation of
voice training is a common thing. The smart ones have gone to good vocal
coaches who have helped them save and extend the voice, but for many, the
ill-conceived screaming delivery has made hash of their vocal chords. A good
example was the 1950-70's poet-singer<?> Rod McKuen who eneded up sounding
like someone who had had a flat bastard file inserted in the vocal chords.
For Stewart, the price  paid was a surgery that salvaged some of  his voice,
but leaving it far below par.
When will today's singers learn that the voice is an instrument and needs to
be trained as much as if it were a clarinet, a horn, or a bass.? Expect more
raspy, uncontrolled  singing from these "blasts from the past" as they age
along with their nostalgic audience.
At his age, Tony Bennett still is able to sing well (in my view) becasue he
was trained for opera as a young man.
He declined somewhat vocally when his drug habit played hobb, but after he
kicked it, he was able to make it back.
The way to Carnegie Hall for any instrument, including the voice, is as
Kreisler reportedly said..."Practice, practice, practice."
Don Ingle