[Dixielandjazz] flying with your instrument

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sat Oct 18 23:48:43 PDT 2003

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Anyone had any success invoking this AVO 6100-19 rule to get a tuba on board a
flight? If anyone has commented on flying with a tuba, I've missed it. My only
experience is bringing mine back to Israel after buying them in Prague, and
Czech Air has been very cooperative, but they've traveled as baggage, not on
board.

Now that I'm playing more and still traveling a lot, I'm tempted to try to bring
a tuba along. I'm willing to travel with less baggage, i.e., one moderate
suitcase instead of two. But I can't think of anyplace they would put a tuba on
board, even on a jumbo jet, if they did let you bring it. One of mine is a
concert horn, about an 18" bell, that is not completely unreasonable in size. I
don't have any hard cases that would stand up to baggage handling, and it is
likely that buying one would cost more than the (used) horns did.

Also, is this rule applicable internationally or only within the US?

Thanks for any help,

Elazar
Ministry of Jazz
Doctor Jazz Band