[Dixielandjazz] flying with your instrument

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Oct 18 11:29:48 PDT 2003

This matter of carry on instruments is a long-standing pain in the
you-know-where since it varies from airline to airline in how willing they
are to cooperate. Even quoting this AVO6100-19 ruling does not assure you of
making the plane along with your axe.
Then there is the matter of how much the airline will reimburse if something
is damaged. On some flights you must sign a waver of liability to gain
access with your horn -- even in luggage.
I recall the times that we (Sons of Bix) flew to gigs at fests and Russ
Whitman, my favorite bass sax player, had to get his bass sax on. The old
case wouldn't stand up to usual baggage handling, so Russ had a special case
made of heavy plywood with yards of stuffing inside to protect it.
It looked like a coffin. When checking it in one time enroute to Colorado,
the ticket clerk was checking it in as luggage. Looking this this large
wooden box, the clerk asked..."What does this contain.?" The late Glenn
Koch, right behind Russ, answered with a straight face but with a pixie
glint in his eyes before Russ could. "The earthly remains of Adrian
Rollini." The cleck was a bit startled by the roaring laughter of the jolly
band of minstrels in line.
Don Ingle