[Dixielandjazz] flying with your instrument

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sat Oct 18 12:53:34 PDT 2003

I know that flying with your instrument has been discussed on DJML
before, but this little snippet is new to me.  It came from my sister
when we were discussing my buying a flight case to bring my Mother's
1924 Martin guitar back with me to Spain.  I still insist it will be
hard to get it on board if it doesn't fit in through the scanners &
won't fit in the overhead bin.
Has anyone heard of AVO6100-19?

"All musical instruments are permitted on flights after proper
screening, in addition to carry-on bags.  If the TSA security people
give you a hard time about this, you can politely tell them that AVO
Directive 6100-19 clearly allows you to carry on your instrument.  We
emphasize 'politely' because you may find that your instrument may get
on board, but you won't."

Jim