[Dixielandjazz] flying with your instrument

jazzfact jazzfact at ozemail.com.au
Sun Oct 19 11:17:31 PDT 2003

Hi Elazar and All,

I have travelled many times with my sousaphone both domestic and
internationally. My instrument has travelled thousands of kilometres in
baggage. I built a case with plywood and high impact foam which I have
witnessed baggage handlers standing on with no damage. It is covered =
with
fragile stickers. I can send some pictures if you like. I have only the
instrument in the case and pack lead pipes, mouth pieces, and other bits
like valve oil in my suitcase (also in Baggage). (I once spent a nervous
half hour in customs in Indonesia with a music lyre as the point of
conversation!) I also found it's best to travel with a band as the =
baggage
weights get averaged out if you travel together. Have all required =
papers
ready and get a letter beforehand from anyone at the airline about your
special risks.  NEVER make jokes to airline or security staff about
ANYTHING. There have been people jailed in Australia for doing just =
that.
Get to the check in counter early and be first in any queue, be polite =
but
firm about your needs. Treat everyone you see in or around the airport =
with
respect. It always works for me!

regards,
Richard Stevens