[Dixielandjazz] "Tippi Tippi Tin"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 4 17:21:43 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Harold Smith wrote (regarding Tippi-Tin):

>Hope this is not being redundant, but I think one of the melodic strains
>in this song was lifted from the classical piece
>"Symphonie Espagnol" by Eduard Lalo".

That could be correct but something in the back of my mind says the
classical piece is "Expana" by Chabrier. On the other hand I may be wrong.
But, yes, the strain is in one of those classic compositions.

Harold continues:

>I believe that particular strain coincides with the words, "One night
>when the moon was yellow, Conchita met Don Manuelo."

Again, I'm not sure. It's my recollection that the strain is from the
Tippi-tippi-tin, tippi-tin" part. Again, I could be wrong.

Harold says it was very popular in the Chicago area when he was younger.
Same is true out here - as a youngster I heard it all over the Bay Area. I
even recall some "spoof" words we sang as children:

"One night when the moon was yellow,
Rosita was home making Jello.
I said to myself, 'this will not do!'
So I went home and made some, too!"

Now that's not exactly OKOM nor is it particularly deep but it really made
us children laugh. But what the hell . . . kids will laugh at virtually
everything!

Respectfully submitted,

Guilermo "Tippi Tin" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmaill.com