[Dixielandjazz] Requests

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 00:16:14 PDT 2003

I watched and heard (am still hearing bells it was so
loud) Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in a local club. It was a
pretty good concert as the guys in the band are all
excellent musicians, but I was disappointed at
something that happened near the end of the set.

A elderly gentleman pushed his way up front and
stuffed a note in the lead singer's hand. The singer
looked like he had never had received a request
before. They finished playing the song and left the
stage, that being the last song before the encore.
When he came back out he told us that the gentleman
had said on his note that it was his 30th anniversary
and he wondered if Voodoo Daddy could play "In The
Mood." The singer said he would like to but the band
didn't know the song and he preferred to play his own
music anyway.

What disappointed me was that he said the band didn't
know it. Without the success of "In The Mood" and
other swing songs like it, Voodoo Daddy wouldn't of
even been playing their jump swing music.

Dave Livingston