[Dixielandjazz] Requests

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 3 23:19:39 PDT 2003

Hi everybody. My favourite request story (possibly apocryphal) concerns the
late British big band leader, Joe Loss. Playing a dance in Ireland, he was
asked by a patron if he played requests, but told the guy 'no'. The patron
pleaded with him, saying it was his 50th wedding anniversary, his wife was
very ill, might not make it to the next, and having a request played would
mean a lot to both of them. Relenting, Joe said OK, and asked what tune they
wanted to hear. "Oh, anything you like" said the man.

Another (true) story related by the late Ronnie Scott, who was playing in
the band at the time, concerns the famous playboy bandleader Bert Ambrose.
An aristocratic young man in a nightclub sent up a request to the bandstand,
for some idiotic tune, wrapped in a ten-pound note. Bert opened the note,
scrutinisd the request, shook his head regretfully and returned it - wrapped
in a twenty-pound note.

Incidentally, at weddings and the like, we are frequently asked by younger
guests to play pop and rock numbers ("Can you do something by Queen or
Status Quo?"). Quite how they can do this when they are looking at a rhythm
section containing tuba and banjo is hard to understand. I suppose this
reflects a general ignorance amongst 20-somethings of live music: they are
so used to disco's nowadays, they don't even understand that live musicians
need a break evey now and then ("Why are you stopping? You've only been
playing for ninety minutes!"). Ah well........

My favourite remark on the subject was a local bandleader here in north-east
England who when asked for something similar would reply with a smile "I'm
really sorry, we don't know that one, but here's another tune with most of
the same notes" - very diplomatic.

And lastly, a put-down by another leader (a lover of Jelly, Louis , Duke,
Clarence Williams, etc) who when asked to play some rather basic "real New
Orleans" number like Over In The Gloryland would say "I'm sorry, but we
don't know the chord". One indignant fan, on hearing this, turned away
saying "Oh well, if you're going to get all technical....."

Mike Durham