[Dixielandjazz] Re: Who was Mabel?

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Nov 28 17:06:16 PST 2003

On Friday, Nov 28, 2003, at 16:21 US/Pacific, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Perhaps Mabel/Maybelle was the subject of "Buddy's Habit" (1923 Arnett
> Nelson).

Although I have heard many possible explanations over the years, Buddy
Gross (not Buddy Petit) was probably the "Buddy" and as most tuba
players know, consumption of mass quantities of beer is almost a
pre-requisite for a long jazz-band gig... :-)

from http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/2032/Apple.html :

> BUDDY´S HABIT was  written by the ragtime composer Charley Straight
> and the clarinetist Arnett Nelson in Jimmy Wade´s Moulin Rouge
> Orchestra. Nelson wrote this tune to their tuba player Buddy Gross,
> whose habit was to leave the stage for the bathroom, due to large
> consumption of beer.

Wether he left the stage in a dignified manner or fell over backwards
off the edge is another question!

Dave Richoux