FW: [Dixielandjazz] Popular Music is Changing

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 29 00:07:51 PST 2003

Sadly, the other recurring factor in most of today's "MTV music" is that the
lyrics, when not actually offensive (as in some gangsta rap) tend to be
rather basic and/or banal - but then it is marketed primarily at 12-15 year
olds, or so I understand. Not a good idea, I guess, to try and sell
sophisticated songs about love, life and loss to people who have scarcely
attained emotional maturity. Of course, there are exceptions, quite a lot of
rock and pop music is written by and for adults, and come to that we had a
lot of pretty vapid "Moon/June/Spoon" stuff in the 20's and 30's. However, a
general (and massive) loss of quality does seem to have occurred - makes me
nostalgic for early Beatles (now there were some good melodies and quite
acceptable lyrics!).

Yours with a sad shake of the head,

Mike D.