[Dixielandjazz] Re: Art & Jazz & Audience/woody allen

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Nov 29 01:16:12 PST 2003

Me thinks it does not matter two diddley's and a damn whether or not Woody
Allen can play the clarinet or not, nor any better or worse than anybody else.

He is a celebrity and will attract an audience to pay fifty dollars to see
him go to the bathroom if nothing else.

He could also no doubt draw a tremendous paid attendance crowd to his funeral
from the mere fact that he is a celebrity.

None of it makes him a good clarinet player, he is a widely recognized actor
and comedian who has proven he can even can attract a following to a court
house.

Steven Segal who was a famous movie star in the 70's is also a decent Bass
Guitar player, but who knows it? almost nobody, but you can put his name up in
lights outside any live music club in Los Angeles or Hollywood and he will draw
a crowd of folks willing to pay to get close enough to him to say they were
actually in the same room with him.

William Shatner makes singing commercials for priceline dot com, does that
make him a good singer?  He also gets paid far more to do so than many competent
professional singers can make in a year.  He could not carry a tune in a
bucket with a lid on it.

Woody Allen the clarinet player and Woody Allen the celebrity who can get
adoring applause just for walking onto the stage or into the room from devoted
fans or just plain star stuck folks, is a far cry from being reviewed as a
serious artist and musician of historical magnitude or importance, at least in my
opinion.

I could probably get the same attention by doing brain transplants on my days
off. :))

Like Woody really needs the gig huh?  Or is it he just wants to work to keep
the fellas in the band working?  Could they command the same cover charge if
Woody called in sick or had to take a leave of absence to do a movie?  Me
thinks not.

Cheers,

Doubting Thomas Wiggins

Same goes for may other celebrities.