[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rifle Rangers/1919 Rag

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 00:01:52 PST 2003

Bill, don, everone: having downloaded the Rifle Rangers music from Dick
Baker, I agree the first two themes are totally different from the tune we
know as 1919 Rag/March, but the trio strain is very similar. But then, there
are several old tunes with a similar trio melody/chord sequence (Buddy's
Habit and Chattanooga Stomp spring to mind) so the opportunities for
confusion were probably always high. This of course leaves us with the
question of who wrote 1919! Anybody got any clues??

Mike D.