[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [TPIN] Pops, Roy, & Diz

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Nov 22 09:55:09 PST 2003

Bill;

While I agree with you on 95% of what you say, I take exception to the
heritage of Louis Armstrong. By Satchmo's own statement, he owes much to the
influence of King Oliver. By listening to the early recordings of Oliver
with Satchmo playing second cornet, we can discern the Oliver stamp.

It's unfortunate that there were not many recordings made with Oliver in his
prime. The majority come at a time when Oliver's trumpet voice was going
downhill due mainly to dental problems (too many sugar sandwiches).

Perhaps Dick Broadie has some early tapes which he made with Oliver in New
Orleans around 1910-1915. If so, then I plead with him to share these with
the DJML.

Stan
Stan Brager