[Dixielandjazz] Re: I am back (Haesler); Mac stuff

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Nov 22 10:46:59 PST 2003

Bill and DJML--
     Welcome back!  We've missed you.
     On the (somewhat tangential to dixieland) topic of new Mac
computers and operating systems, let it be known that i (and i'm
sure, many others of us) have a Mac (i have a G4), and i'd be glad to
help you out with advice if you need it.  I'm currently contemplating
changing from OS 9.2.2 to OX X (Jaguar and then Panther), but i'm
hesitating because i'm not sure all of my peripherals will work with
the new system.  (I also have, but don't use much, a Gateway
IBM-clone.)
     On a more jazz-related note, i'm also going to try to connect my
new Sony MiniDisc Walkman to my Mac to save the recordings i make of
(ahem) yours truly in the sublimely secluded confines of my house,
playing tuba late at night along with recordings of various bands, to
see how i sound.  I'm also going to try to un-surreptitiously record
live dixieland-concerts to the MiniDisc and copy them to my Mac (for
my own personal delectation, you understand).  The problem is that
the MiniDisc will supposedly connect only with IBM PC/Windows
machines, but i'm still gonna try.  It also doesn't have a line-out
jack, so i'll have to use the headphone-jack.  We'll see.  The object
of my doing this is to learn more about playing dixieland and
soloing, and latterly to preserve my fumbling attempts for posterity
because i'll probably never be confident or lucky enough to play in a
high-quality band.
     Hmm, logorrhea again.  Anyhow, whatever Mac-expertise i have is
available to you and others for the asking.

     Dan
**---------------------------------------------------------------------------**
>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:55:20 +1100
>From: Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au>
>Subject: [Dixielandjazz] I am back
>
>Dear friends,
>I am BACK! (I hope)
>As of 11.30 am Friday 21 November.
>Then I had to read, digest and delete (many) the almost 1100 messages which
>had accumulated since 24 October when the iMac Internet Explorer/Outlook
>Express application froze.
<snip>