[Dixielandjazz] Applause

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat Nov 22 11:40:59 PST 2003

Artie Shaw -
"Training the audience:
No one applauds between the movements of  a symphony. They applaud when it's over. When a soloist plays a great cadenza, no one cheers, whistles or screams. At a jazz concert there's a great trumpet solo that ends with a phrase that is picked up by the trombonist who takes it somewhere else, but the.audience doesn't hear; they're too busy applauding...The audience needs to be educated. We want dignity, we want understanding for jazz. Players and audiences have to get together. Players have to demand: If you want to hear us, shut up and we'll play for you."
Welcome back, Bill!
Fred