[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Jazz" was "Applause"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 22 16:39:43 PST 2003

Hi all,

Mike Durham writes:

>whether you regard jazz as entertainment or art is another matter. I'm sure
>the early guys saw it primarily as entertainment (and a way to make a
>buck). I personally see it as a mix of the two . . .

Interesting distinction (jazz: art or entertainment).

I am entertaining a notion that art IS entertainment. My thesaurus
indicates:

Entertainment:

Synonyms - amusement, diversion, divertissement, recreation
Related Words - disport, play, sport; enjoyment, gaiety, pleasure;
relaxation, relief

If we allow that "art" is separate and distinct from "entertainment" then I
suppose one can see jazz as a "mix of the two"

On the other hand, I think that places too hard an edge on it. Jazz IS art
and jazz IS entertainment at the same time . . . it can't be one without the
other. If jazz ain't entertaining it ain't art.

I know, I know . . .

Bill "picky-picky-picky" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com