[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Jazz" was "Applause"

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 22 15:27:48 PST 2003

Well, certainly "That's entertainment": now, whether you regard jazz as
entertainment or art is another matter. I'm sure the early guys saw it
primarily as entertainment (and a way to make a buck). I personally see it
as a mix of the two: where anyone else puts it on their personal sliding
scale will determine how far they go towards milking the audience for
applause in the ways Steve mentions, which is all a part of the
entertainment side of things. On a personal note, I read where Creole George
Guesnon would entertain the crowd by playing the banjo behind his back - I
am currently engaged in trying to figure out how to do the same thing with
the trumpet. Now THAT should get 'em clapping!

Yours from the Orthopedic Ward,

Mike D.