[Dixielandjazz] Re:Too Loud?

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Sat Nov 22 07:34:18 PST 2003

I have nothing against amplification where appropriate: large halls; outdoor
venues, etc. My problem is with the smaller venue where musicians persist in
setting up all their electrical and electronic paraphernalia (toys?) where it
simply isn't necessary. I recently attended a jazz function in a medium sized
church. The band was Keith Samuel's Gateway Jazz Band. They used a single
amplifier with one microphone which was switched OFF apart from announcements. The
result was a pleasant evening had by all (over 200) and even those at the back
could hear. I would say that over-amplification is always unnecessary and
defeats its own object.
Brian Wood