[Dixielandjazz] Too Loud

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 16:38:38 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/20/03 1:22:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Trumpetom at aol.com writes:

> . I''ve irritated a few bass
> players when I was the bandleader by requesting the amp go up on a chair or
> table
> behind the player so they can hear themselves.

If any instrument is too loud the tendency for most bands and sound engineers
to keep turning everybody else up so they can hear,  They should be doing
just the opposite, turning every body down to a respectable audio level that is
not ear shattering to anyone.

PA systems are predominately for Vocals and sound augmentation to be able to
balance the level of most other instruments wityh that of the TRUMPET,  which
is usually loud and carries well in most circumstances, the band in most pub
situations should not need amplification unless of course they are all deaf
from playing too loud for so many years.

My peeve is Trumpet players who play loudly all the time but still insist
upon haveing a Microphone to blow their brains into, on a concert stage setting
when I encounter such a player, I load him up with all of himself he can stand
int he monitor right in front of him and blow it back into his face as loud as
he can stand it.  Then I bring him down in the mix to the house and in all
the other monitors, stand him out in front so he can be the star and not bother
anyone but himself. :)

No I don't hate trumpet players, I love em, without one I might have to play
the melody on a bass drum. :)   No matter how loud they play everytime a
pretty lady walks by we hear silence as those lips come off that mouthpiece and the
melody just evaporates.  tee hee.

I carry two trumpet players at a time in my band, (one gay and one stright so
we always have a melody line no matter which one quits playing)  :)  ha ha ha
ha just kidding,  we do have a gay guy in the band however, kiss me and I'll
tell you who it is!  drum roll, boom crash.   No just kidding again,  I am not
Gay just very very Happy most of the time.

Cheers,

Tom ear plugs Wiggins