[Dixielandjazz] Too Loud

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 16:21:06 PST 2003

A pet peeve of mine is loud bass. I've noticed that some (most?) electric
bass players enjoy placing their amps on the floor. They turn their volume high
enough so the band is balanced to their ear. HOWEVER the bass sound manly goes
forward (not up toward their ears). If the band is on an elevated stage riser,
that riser seems to act like an auxiliary speaker. The audience hears pure
thunder; the bass player hears normal balance. I''ve irritated a few bass
players when I was the bandleader by requesting the amp go up on a chair or table
behind the player so they can hear themselves.

Some sound guys seem to be burned out half-deaf rock & rollers, not
musicians. They may not know what a band with horns is supposed to sound like. We can
buy instruments, take music lessons, practice & rehearse; all that work can get
undone by a bad sound guy. They are operating their equipment & playing with
the gadgets instead of presenting the band sound to the audience. When
possible, our attractive girl singer goes to the sound board & tries to charm the
sound man adjusting what the audience hears; she succeeds sometimes.

Tom Loeb
California
<A HREF="www.hotsytotsyboys.com">www.hotsytotsyboys.com</A>