[Dixielandjazz] Too Loud?

Captain Rapture yup1275 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 20 15:06:16 PST 2003

Lots of good stuff here.

However, generalities can be unfair.
Loud, louder, loudest - which? Some are, for sure.

I'm a bass player and I finally have a good AMP.

A couple of musicians with-biases-coming-in have
said I was too loud. Perhaps, but I'm not so sure.
Attitudes, like generalities = hear what isn't there?

These days, we are accustomed, with good radios
and tuners and speakers in our cars and homes
to hearing fuller sounds than we ever did before,
with clarity from top to bottom.

Actually hearing clear bass lines lets us know how
important a roll the bass plays in giving depth and
clarifying the chords. The bass provides symmetry,
movement, and generates excitement; a heartbeat.

The bass should not dominate. It should be more
than a murmur. The bassist is a musician and may
have melodic solos to contribute and the rhythm
section need not shut down anymore.

It seems to many front liners, it's like throwing the
dog a bone to ho-hum give the bass half a chorus.
As if only they could have something to offer while,
in tune after tune, they do their obligatory and
sometimes boring, half-hearted run-throughs.

Whether it's John Kirby or Charlie Hayden, the bassist
must often become bandleader in order to get a fair
break and be included as a full member of the band.
That's what I did with the Hangtown Jazz Company.
I was often heard to say "If you can't hear each other,
you're playing too loud." I thot our balance was good.

Jazz is a wonderful conspiracy to bring joy and life to
music as a team. Members must listen to and honor
each other. Winning is when all the creative people
are able to contribute and all are encouraged to reach
and grow.

How do you score here, noble websters?

David McCartney, and proud of it!

If I've written this before, perhaps it bears repeating.