[Dixielandjazz] Sousaphone (and other low pitchmusicalinstruments)

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Tue Nov 18 10:29:39 PST 2003

Shalom Jazz Fans!

I'm diving into this thread a little late, and have not seen all the posts, but
I do have a comment that has probably not been made yet.

While traveling in southern India a couple years ago, I visited the British
royal palace in Mysore. I believe it dates from the 1920s or maybe a bit
earlier, to the 1950s. The walls were covered with very large panoramic
paintings of military ceremonial parades and other such events. Some of the
bands depicted in the paintings included ranks of helicons that looked exactly
like my Bb Amati, complete with rotary valves. I don't remember if I could count
3 or 4 valves in the pictures. And some of the helicon players were riding on
horses, while others were marching.

Elazar
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band