[Dixielandjazz] Sousaphone (and other low pitch musical instruments)

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Nov 17 12:24:02 PST 2003

There are interesting articles on this subject at the Library of
Congress site
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwmhtml/cwmhome.html
and http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwmhtml/cwmpres01.html (and follow the
other internal links  - lots of information!)

and keeping OT, remember that a lot of these old instruments fell into
the hands of those young proto-jazz musicians in New Orleans (if you
believe that particular mythology of the development of jazz... ;-)

(not the OTS horns, but later surplus instruments.)

Dave Richoux