[Dixielandjazz] Sousaphone (and other low pitch musicalinstruments)

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:45:05 PST 2003

>From all my reading on the subject, it seems that the over-the-shoulder (or
OTS) style was predominantly American and intended mainly for military
bands. The original such instruments were Saxhorns. In catalogs from the
1880's many instruments are offered in two or even three different styles:
OTS, bell up or bell front. I guess the switch after the civil war from
primarily military to primarily concert use caused the demise of OTS horns,
though why bell-front tubas, baritones, euphoniums and alto/tenor horns
became increasingly rare (in favour of bell-up models) is harder to
understand. OTS horns had effectively disappeared by the early years of the
20th century. And by the way there are great recordings of civil war era
music on authentic instruments played by a band called Heritage Americana. I
picked mine up at the Gettysburg Battlefield Park Visitor Center a couple of
years ago.

Yours, more belly-up than bell-up,

Mike D.