[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 23:16:53 PST 2003

Tom: far from chastisement, British and European audiences are DESPERATE to
see and hearr anyone playing OKOM who is  black, and especially young and
black. We are desperately keen to see any African-Americans returning to the
music their forefathers created. So three cheers for Nicholas Peyton and all
others like him, even two and a half cheers for Wynton Marsalis. In fact, we
are so keen on this, we will make all sorts of allowances: at a Dutch jazz
festival I attended, there was a black piano player/blues singer (who shall
be nameless) who was playing in one key with the right hand, another with
the left, and singing in a third. I'm not sure if he was just too old to
play anymore, or very drunk, or just having a laugh at all the earnest white
folks in the audience (when I joined in the joke and started laughing, I was
reprimanded by the people around me for displaying such levity in the
presence of a 'folk genius'). In all seriousness, though, Tom, you should
have no trouble at all bringing black musicians to Europe, and more power to
your elbow in encouraging this.

Mike D.