[Dixielandjazz] Re:was/Cornet Education for Bill Biffle/DenyingHistory o...

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 23:45:16 PST 2003

Jim, I can certainly measure the 'blackness' of a song when I compare
'That's All right, Mama', a 12 bar blues, to later Elvis pop crap like "Blue
Hawaii"! But of course you are right, there is and always has been
cross-pollination, many early white country artists (like Darby & Tarleton)
sang 12 bar blues, played bottle -neck guitar and sounded very black. But at
extremes of the spectrum, there is a difference (and all musicologists agree
that the 12 bar blues is one of the few musical forms that is undeniably a
black American 'invention'). What's more, I don't see Sam Phillips of Sun
Records as evil, he was just a small guy trying to make a buck. Now Colonel
Tom Parker, maybe......  and lastly, I don't suppose Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup
got any royalties for his songs (nor Elvis at that date, probably). Black
songwriters were consitently cheated out of their royalties from the get-go
by unscrupulous agents, publishers, ASCAP, you name it. Irving Mills put his
name on almost every tune Ellington wrote while Mills was his manager,
'stealing' half of Duke's royalties, and the Melrose brothers pulled the
same trick with Morton, adding crap lyrics (that nobody ever sings) to his
compositions as a means of taking half the composer's royalties in addition
to their publisher's royalty (the irst Jelly knew of this was when the
published sheet music hit the stores). And when Jelly finally got admitted
to ASCAP in the late 30's, they placed the composer of 'King Porter Stomp',
then a huge hit for several big swing bands, in their lowest category and
paid him less than a hundred bucks for a year's worth of public peformance
of all his tunes. OK white jazz and other artists got screwed too, but the
black guys got it worse in every way. Will quit now before I burst a blood
vessel in indignation!

Yours aye,

Mike.