[Dixielandjazz] Apologies in advance....newby here requiring BANJO education

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Mon Nov 17 15:58:09 PST 2003

Try this link for a start:

http://www.geocities.com/banjopa1/intro.html

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com]On Behalf Of
Skypilot98 at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 6:21 PM
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Apologies in advance....newby here
requiringeducation

Hello all. 57 year old here who has decided to learn to play the banjo. I'm
in Belleville, Illinois, 25 miles SE of St. Louis, MO. To prepare for this
new
adventure I visited my local music shop and bought the only banjo they had
in
stock, a Dean 5 string BW-3. I finally found someone who knew a person who
teaches banjo in town. A young lady names Chris Talley-Armstrong. I
contacted
Chris who agreed to take me on as a new student (Hell, I'm twice her age!).
The
problem is this. She teaches bluegrass music. I want to learn Dixieland.
When I
told her this she replied with, "Hmmmm, not only do you have the wrong
teacher, but you also have the wrong banjo." There apparently is no one for
miles
around who teaches Dixieland banjo; perhaps someone in St. Louis, but no
leads
right now as to whom. I sure would appreciate comments from anyone who might
read this as to what I might do. Do I really have the wrong banjo for
Dixieland?
All the research I have done indicates a few different types of banjos, but,
nothing really tells me which type is for what music. 5-string, tenor,
plectrum.....duhhhhhhhhhh. Boy, do I feel like a real dork! And just how
does one
find a Dixieland teacher? Again, I apologize for my ignorance. This is my
first
posting on here. Please be gentle.......Rob