[Dixielandjazz] Interesting article on new performancesofMinstrelShows

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 17 10:53:32 PST 2003

"I dont think we have had a white Othello..."
Until very recently Othello has always been portrayed by "blacked up"  white
actors, e.g. Olivier, Anthony Hopkins, and Orson Welles. I would bet that it
at some point in early traveling shows the Moor was portrayed without the
customary makeup.  More recently (1998) Patrick Stewart played the part in
white-face, so to speak. The Lawrence Fishburn Othello is the only one that
I know of that has portrayed the character as an African.
Best,
Bill