[Dixielandjazz] Interesting article on new performancesofMinstrel Shows

PJ Ladd pj.ladd at btopenworld.com
Mon Nov 17 14:43:01 PST 2003

``a lot! - of the early stuff is
really offensive to modern ears,``
Hi,
the trouble is that we have been told that it is offensive. In general the
terms were not used offensively. When I was a kid `nigger` was usually no
more than a description. `That nigger guy` was used in exactly the same way
as `That American guy` or ` that tall guy`. I had `nigger brown` in my paint
box, a nigger head was a cleat on a boat, a black dog or cat was often
called `Nigger` and it was exactly the same usage as `Rover` or `Tiddles`,
not denigrating in any way. Now we have arrived at the situation where I
feel unhappy even typing the word.
It would be a shame if such a rich seam of musical history was barred to us
because the usage of words has changed or visually because it is
unacceptable to `black up`.

I dont think we have had a white Othello yet but you never know.

Cheers

Pat