[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 22:04:29 PST 2003

As my good friend Jim Bebee said in an earlier Post there is a chance I don't
know much about the history of Dixieland Music.

I am an admitted late comer to the genre, however I do have excellent ears
even if they are only half as good as they once were.

I have one CD of the ODJB that they sent me a year or so ago.  Looking for
bookings.

It features Jimmy La Rocca on trumpet, and he is a fine Trumpet Player as are
the other band members good players, however I listened to it once and
realized that there was more than likely not even one of my Festival buyers who
would buy the band and it's sound, and especially at the price they were asking.

Their music while technically fine was to my ears boring and stilted and
rigid in style, with no inclination to swing and get the audience into the music.
Almost irritating to my ears, and my particular style of musical enjoyment.
Of course that is just my oninion and related to my personal taste.  Others
might actually like this style of Music, particularly those of the Academic
set.

I pulled it out again a few days ago and gave it another listen to see if I
had changed my mind about it after much more time on the DJML and communicating
with many of the astute players on this list.  I wish I could say I changed
my mind, but alas, I have not I still get the same feeling listening to it.

On the other hand I just spent the weekend listening to a couple of other
bands CDs which I really enjoyed over and over.  Tito Martino's two CDs, from
Brazil, and Two of the Three CDs from the Bob Craven's Summit Ridge Jazz Band.
Nice music Bob and thanks for sending them.  I have been playing them over and
over for two days whilst painting the kitchen for me spouse, not tired of them
yet.  Got one of em on right now as a matter of fact.  You play a nice horn,
and I love Al Hermann's trombone work.

I'll write you off list about the third one, but with your ears and the great
versatile band you have, I know I needn't even comment on the third one, I am
certain we will agree with my thoughts on certain songs.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins