[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Sun Nov 16 23:12:45 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <TCASHWIGG at aol.com>

> As my good friend Jim Bebee said in an earlier Post there is a chance I
don't
> know much about the history of Dixieland Music.
>
> I am an admitted late comer to the genre, however I do have excellent ears
> even if they are only half as good as they once were.
>
> I have one CD of the ODJB that they sent me a year or so ago.  Looking for
> bookings.
>
> It features Jimmy La Rocca on trumpet, and he is a fine Trumpet Player as
are
> the other band members good players, however I listened to it once and
> realized that there was more than likely not even one of my Festival
buyers who
> would buy the band and it's sound, and especially at the price they were
asking.

Damn it, Tom this is not the ODJB.  Their records were made at the turn of
the century and yes their recordings did sound stilted. Recordng was in its
infancy. recordings ran to fast, they couldn't record drums at first and on
and on.  This recording you are talking about is some current relative of
Nick LaRocca.  I have not heard it and won't comment.

> Their music while technically fine was to my ears boring and stilted and
> rigid in style, with no inclination to swing and get the audience into the
music.
> Almost irritating to my ears, and my particular style of musical
enjoyment.
> Of course that is just my oninion and related to my personal taste.
Others
> might actually like this style of Music, particularly those of the
Academic
> set.
>
> I pulled it out again a few days ago and gave it another listen to see if
> had changed my mind about it after much more time on the DJML and
communicating
> with many of the astute players on this list.  I wish I could say I
changed
> my mind, but alas, I have not I still get the same feeling listening to
it.

All I have tried to say is that the ODJB  ( the true original band) was a
pioneer group and important figures in the development of jazz.  I have not
claimed that they were the best, the most swinging group ever in Jazz

Tom, I'm curious. The focus of this List is Dixieland Jazz and I get the
feeling that you are totally not interested in this music.  You have said
that you have never heard the great trumpet-cornetists that have been
mentioned on here...Bobby Hackett, Bunny Berigan, Bix, Red Nichols, Muggsy
Spanier, Bob Scobey, Wild Bill etc.  My god, these are the greats, the
stalwarts of this music  These are the players that we cherish, that we
enjoy and learn from.  They are gone but their art lives on through their
recordings.

> On the other hand I just spent the weekend listening to a couple of other
> bands CDs which I really enjoyed over and over.  Tito Martino's two CDs,
from
> Brazil, and Two of the Three CDs from the Bob Craven's Summit Ridge Jazz
Band.