[Dixielandjazz] The world's tiniest banjo

AAngusallan at aol.com AAngusallan at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 11:43:34 PST 2003

Greetings, Pat.  I was with the Dave Mills band in the early 1960s.  We used
to play the Halfway House in Shoeburyness, right on the sea-front.  Last time
I visited, around 1985, it had been totally rebuilt and as far as I could see
its only redeeming feature was a Scottish barman (chauvinist joke - sorry!).
The Mills band consisted of John 'Kid' Shillito, trumpet, Mike Pointon,
trombone, self on clarinet, John Langston, banjo, Pete Barton, bass, and Dave Mills
drums.  Deputising players were Uncle John Renshaw and Bill Cole, bass, Bob
Dwyer, Pete Dyer, cornet and trombone respectively, and various others whose
names I have forgotten.  Graham Patterson used to join us from time to time on
piano, at the Elms Hotel in Leigh On Sea, where (for once) the piano was
actually in tune.  Cheers - Angus Allan.