[Dixielandjazz] Moon Studies - Moon Music? - Audience Effects

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 11 17:02:00 PST 2003

If list mates are still interested in Lunar Effects, or lack thereof,
see the below web sites. One thing for sure, there are a lot of "moon"
songs. Maybe that's the real "lunar effect"?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/12/1218_021218_moon.html

http://skepdic.com/fullmoon.html

And, at our Media Jazz Festival Gig, during a Full Moon and Lunar
Eclipse evening we had a VERY WILD time of it with lots of young people,
some old people, etc. dancing, flashing the band, cheering wildly and
generally carrying on. Caused by the moon? Maybe, but then, did anyone
else gigging on November 8 have that "experience" playing OKOM?

By "experience" I mean an SRO crowd of young people treating an OKOM
band like Rock Stars. Whistling, cheering, reaching out to touch us,
trying to climb on stage with us, kissing us and groping? Did that
happen to anybody else last Saturday night?  And all of us are on
Medicare, no less, averaging 69 years old. As our 72 year old piano man
said, "Wow, I've still got IT." He had just been flashed and kissed by a
20 something beauty in appreciation of a funky solo on "I Want a Little
Girl"

It all started when 3 girls sitting at the bar right in front of the
band stand got up, danced alone for us and exhorted the other girls to
"Give the band something back for the joy they're giving us, strut your
stuff." One thing led to another and enormous amounts of positive energy
were fed back and forth between band and audience for 4 beautiful hours,
until the very end at 1:30 AM.

Maybe if we all played for young people every full moon we could develop
a large world wide audience of new fans for this music?

Was it a dream? Nah, I called the other band members the next day to
verify that it was not a dream. Besides, it happens to us all the time
now in club date situations.

Much more likely the Mardi Gras Beads, and the unbridled joy we impart.

Whatever it is, it just doesn't get any better than that, trust me.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
clarinet / leader
Barbone Street Jazz Band