[Dixielandjazz] London Jazzers and Uncle John

Brian Towers briantowers at msn.com
Tue Nov 11 16:56:02 PST 2003

Hi Allan

I do not live in London so cannot give you the up-date you wanted..  However I do remember Uncle John Renshaw - he was one of the original "ravers" was he not?
I think he may have come down to our Hastings Traditional Jazz Club in the late 50's or early 60's perhaps, with the likes of Keith Smith, Mike Pointon, Barry Martyn, Norrie Cox, etc
A good slappin' bassist, if I remember correctly.
According to Brian Wood's marvellous book "The Song For Me"   Uncle John led his own band in the 1960's and by all accounts played banjo instead of his more usual role on bass - due to the scarcity of good banjoists.   His line-up included Tony Sullivan (tpt) Pete Dyer (tbn), James Searson, Dave Evans (drums) and Bill Cole (another eccentric bass player!) The trail dries up after the 60's!
Most of those guys are still around and they may know what happened to him.
Cheers,
Brian Towers,
(ex Hastings now Toronto)