[Dixielandjazz] Them pesky Bocages

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 23:22:30 PST 2003

Quite a tribe, the various Bocages! Andy asked for details about Charles,
and I gave him a load of stuff on brother Peter - sorry! Here's the little I
have on Charles Bocage. Born New Orleans Jan 14, 1900 and christened Charles
Leopold Bocage. Played banjo and guitar. Nothing I know of before his stint
with Piron after WW2, then played mainly in bands led by brother Peter. Died
New Orleans Nov 4, 1963.

Possible confusion here with another banjo-playing Bocage, Leonard
(mentioned in Wim's post) who was with John Casimir in the 20's. He is
described as a cousin to Peter Bocage by Sam Charters, but as a brother by
John Chilton. Maybe Leonard and Charles Leopold are one and the same
guy......after all, the Bocages' father was named Leopold but everyone
called him Paul!!

Off to bed now, it's after 11pm here in England and all these Bocages have
got me feeling tired.

Mike