[Dixielandjazz] Re: Charles Bocage

Wim Mossel w.p.mossel at wanadoo.nl
Fri Nov 7 23:41:21 PST 2003

Andy and other listmates

At 03/11/07 21:00, you wrote:
>       Does anyone know if Charles Bocage was related to Peter Bocage ?
>Charles Bocage played banjo with A.J. Piron in the early 20's.  Also,
>would like
>to have any biographic information on Charles Bocage.
About Charles Bocage.
I have him playing on on Azure CD (no 13, Piron's New Orleans Orchestra)
In the notes is written:
Charles Bocage took over from St. Cyr when the latter joined Fate Marable
on the S.S. Capitol. Charles Bocage was the brother of Peter, and was
advertised as 'banjoist/entertainer'. He had been born In New Orleans about
1895.
And:
Louis Warnecke and Peter Bocage reorganized their band, and openend on
Bourbon Streeet as the "Creole Serenaders" and were very succesful,
broadcasting regularly over Station W.W.I. during the 30's. At first Steve
Lewis was on piano, later to be replaced by Dwight Newman; Henry  Bocage
played trumpet with Peter Bocage doubling on trumpet and violin;  Louis
Warnecke on saxophones; Charles Bocage and later John Marrero, bjo; the
drum chair was occupied at various times by Paul Barbarin, Cie Frazier, or
Chink Martin.
(? I thought Chink Martin was a fabulous tuba player)
The notes are from Ray Smith.

In John Chilton's Who's Who of Jazz is written about the trumpeter Peter
Bocage: Several relatives were musicians, his brother Harry played bass,
Leonard, another brother, played banjo and guitar.

No Charles. Chilton is not without mistakes (he calls Dave Nelson a nephew
of King Oliver) but Leonard as a typing error for Charles.......

Not much, but anything

Kind regards, Vriendelijke groet, Grusze
Wim Mossel

Tenor guitar player of  The Autoreverse Jazz Orchestra
http://www.autoreverse.nl/

a.k.a. w.p.mossel at wanadoo.nl