[Dixielandjazz] Another view of "Tribute" Bands

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 15:35:38 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/2/03 7:49:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com writes:

> Steve, I have just read three similar reviews in the U.K. based "Jazz
> Review" magazine, all with critics scolding musicians or singers for
> performing/recording older material. My reaction? Where do these people get
> off, telling artists what to play or how to play it? If the musicians in
> question are genuinely drawn to the older, classic material, that's their
> prerogative

Hi Mike:

This would not be a problem if there was anybody out there writing new
material as good as the old stuff we have (Thankfully to draw from).  I suppose
these critics expect us to draw from Rap for inspiration for the NEW JAZZ.

You are correct about the critics, but then again they are usually frustrated
wannabe musicians or producers who have no talent for doing either, so they
opt for a journalism degree and self appoint themselves as critics and set out
to criticize everyone who does not do what they cannot do the way they think
it should be done.  Well, EXCUUUUUSSSE me!  who died and appointed any one of
them GOD and the common denominator for music.

They also rarely even buy their own recordings to criticize, they get them
sent to them for free in the hopes that they will write something good about the
artists and the music to help promote the artists genuine efforts.  I now am
very selective about which reviewers and critics I send material to for their
opinions on most of the artists I book and manage careers for.  They are not
worth the postage to send the stuff, My opinion is simple, if you can't find
anything good to say about the act or the music then just don't say anything at
all, and it will speak louder and more respectfully for the effort than
lambasting the artist because you don't personally like it or the artists taste in
music.

Critics should be eliminated and replaced with reviewers who are qualified to
truthfully understand what they are listening to and point out the best of
the project, with a minimal effort on trashing it for personal reasons or
dislikes of the music or artist.

Don't like the music, or the band?  No problem, toss the Free CD in the trash
and forget about it.  I do it all the time, or take the time to write and
send it back to the artist explaining that while I applaud their efforts it does
not fit my personal tastes for music and I therefore am not qualified to or
inclined to write something critical about it.

No artist ever send out his hard work to be criticized, they send it out for
confirmation that they are achieving something for their efforts that will
help them continue in an upwards movement with their career.  If any one out
there has a large Ego than a frustrated musician it is certainly the frustrated
Critic.

Entertainingly yours,

Tom Wiggins