[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Jazz" Festivals

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 15:16:31 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/2/03 7:37:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> One should also note that very few, no fans are going to see all 25 bands
> at an
> OKOM festival, so why not have 10 OKOM bands and 15 "others". What is the
> harm
> in that? As Wiggins says, go for quality, not quantity. Get rid of the
> bottom
> 15 OKOM bands. The musicians in them may suffer a bit, but then, they
> probably
> are not doing the genre any good either if they are presenting mediocre
> music.
> And other jazz forms will expand the audience for the festival and perhaps
> for
> OKOM.

HI Folks:

It is my contention that the bottom 15 mediocre OKOM bands, are usually just
not ready for prime time bookings, I however certainly do not recommend their
dismantlement, by any means, there is a time and place for any act.  However
the time and place for non proven ticket selling acts should be limited on a
festival.  All Bands are not Created equal and with any certain inalienable
right to perform and be paid as well as the best bands, who have taken a
professional approach to their music and business.  I suggest any new local band or
those that do not have a proven ticket selling track record, be given tickets or
badges in the value of their payment fee and if they expect to get paid they
must sell them to people willing to pay to hear them at the festival, the more
tickets they sell the more money they are worth.
 Therefore if you have a reasonable budget for paying bands, get those local
bands involved in your promotion of the festival, let them go out and play in
the park ahead of the festival, or downtown at the mall and sell their tickets
and encourage folks who hear them to come out to the festival and see them
with the big guys.

  If this band believes they are worth $300.00 give em $300. Worth of
tickets, if they think they are worth $600. give em $600. Etc.  Insist that they
return all unsold tickets or pay for them.  (Many of the bands will elect to give
away many of these tickets to their friends and family to garner support, and
that is OK too, but it should be considered part of their payment.  Nobody
should ride this bus for free.  NO GUEST LIST, if your friends, fans and family
are not proud enough of you to pay to see and hear you perform then how can you
expect John Q. Public to do so.  Professional Musical employment is not a
Party for the Band and their immediate friends and family folks, it is a party
for the people who buy the tickets.  Musician's Guest list are what helped to
kill the live music scene in nightclubs and restaurants many years ago, and it
will continue to kill new clubs that attempt to provide places to employ
musicians and entertainers.  (There still ain't no Free Lunch.)

Just like promoting Jazz festivals, promoting a band of any kind is indeed a
tough business, and only the strong will survive to make a living and or break
even.  In today's market there are far too many wannabes than there are
professionals plying their trade, and these wannabes continue to undercut the value
of a real hard working professional bands.  This has caused many a good band
to disband because they have been forced to work for less than reasonable
wages to support their band, travel and families plying their once honorable
trade.

We must be advised of and always remember that professional musicians and
entertainers are people too with house payments, car payments, health insurance,
clothes for the kids, child support, and all the other things enjoyed by
Doctors, Lawyers, Dentists, Firemen, Policemen, plumbers, electricians,
programmers, etc., and any other profession.

Perhaps a question we need to ask is: "Are OKOM Festivals as we know them
since
the 1970s, going to remain viable?" Maybe, maybe not. But from the general
experiences of OKOM festivals around the USA it seems as if they are on a
downward spiral.

In my opinion they need to be incorporated into large diversified festivals
to expand the audience base for it.  I am a firm believer that the music will
not die but it does need to be taken to those evangelically who have not
experienced it and they are many more than we are folks.   I played the Great North
Sea Jazz Festival last year which had 250 Acts of all styles of Jazz from all
over the world and all the headline Name Acts in the business were there.   I
received the greatest compliment of my bands career together, from the
Festival promoters, who by the way are Clear Channel now the largest live music
promoting firm in the world.  They said to us after the festival as they paid us
the balance of our fees, "We are so glad we finally got you guys to play our
festival, You Really brought a Breath of Fresh Air to this Festival, everyone
loved you and your enthusiasm."

We have received similar compliments from several other major top ten Jazz
festivals in Europe, so we must be doing something right in our presentation of
OKOM.  There is a vast audience out there for good quality Jazz but you have
to go find them they will almost never find you unless you hone your act and
promote and hype it to get booked on those major events and exposed to larger
audiences.  Then of course you have to deliver a top quality competitive but
friendly performance with the professional quality all the top players ahead of
you.  The same can be said for promoting events, promote the best and in the
proper presentation and your event will succeed, fall into apathy and it will
indeed fail and all those around you will get tired of it and it indeed will
dissipate.

Entertainingly yours,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celstial Brass Band and other stuff.