[Dixielandjazz] Another view of "Tribute" Bands

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 15:48:55 PST 2003

>From: Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
Steve, I have just read three similar reviews in the U.K. based "Jazz
Review" magazine, all with critics scolding musicians or singers for
performing/recording older material. My reaction? Where do these people get
off, telling artists what to play or how to play it? If the musicians in
question are genuinely drawn to the older, classic material, that's their
prerogative. And if they are cynically playing it (maybe at the behest of
their record companies) to make big bucks, then doesn't this suggest that
they are merely supplying what the record-buying public wants? If these
tributes and recreations didn't sell, I doubt we'd be seeing so many of
them. Pro musicians need to make a living, and record companies need to sell
records. The wonder is that either of them bother at all with a minority
music like jazz. Shouldn't reviewers stick to telling us whether a record is
good at achieving at what it sets out to do, musically, rather than blasting
its producers for not setting out to do something else entirely in the first
place? This all smacks of the craze for "progress" at all costs: as another
critic pointed out, progress ain't always good: a hot bath progresses to
grow cold, and the delicious meal you just ate is busily progressing its way
to becoming........well, I think that makes a point.

Off now to record a tribute album to Ted Lewis!

MikeD