[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Jazz" Festivals

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 16:19:29 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/2/03 8:41:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rakmccallum at hotmail.com writes:

> I wonder if there may be something to the idea that a big yearly
> festival diminishes the potential throughout the rest of the year.  I don't
> really buy that argument, but it's certainly been made.

Hi Rob:

I don't think so at all, but it should act as a grand climax to many smaller
events and situations to continually promote the music and the Big Festival
all year long, everyone involved needs to CO-promote each other and keep the
message in front of the ever-changing minds of the very Fickle public.  Even if
they present a broader based variety of music, we must also attempt to embrace
it for what it is and understand that the youth of every generation is going
to want to do it their way.

By constantly exposing new audiences to OKOM of all styles it will eventually
influence those who embrace it, but will not force the older OKOM crowd to
embrace Hip Hop or Rap by any means.  Just put them at opposite ends of the
event and let em happen.  However putting Rap and total youth pop music on the
same event as Jazz and other serious music forms is not the optimum solution.
Primarily because the Rap audience will indeed draw a definite unwanted element
of society that will never mix with the so called Establishment, therefore
they should have their own events and promoters who are brave enough to deal with
that medium.

It is more trouble than it is worth and the risk of life and the pursuit of
profit and sanity is beyond redemption. :)   Kind of like walking into a den of
Rattlesnakes barefoot and trusting that  one will not bite you.

Detroit has long been famous for it's Motown sound and Blues, so I can
understand the lack of Jazz and OKOM around that market.  You definitely have a
tough way to go to promote it up to profitable levels.  Since Detroit has been a
Blue Collar working class kind of market for as long as I can remember it
stands to reason that the musical tastes of the masses tends to lean towards dance
music and Blues, R&B and pop.  Berry Gordy brought the world a lot of great
Black music from those streets, and two of my former deceased acts came from
Detroit, John Lee Hooker, and Hank Ballard & The Midnighters, along with Martha
and The Vandellas, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Four Tops,
The Temptations and countless others.

   Nothing to be ashamed of by any means the city has a very rich history of
musical contributions embraced by the World, and you can bet that these acts
at one time or another were influenced by OKOM, they just did it their way and
changed it as they went.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins